Veterans and active military members who choose to attend CSCU are a valued and vital component of the community. It's important to recognize and honor their sacrifices and value their life experiences as they broaden the diversity of the staff, faculty and student body.
Veterans Tuition Waiver
CoverageState statutes provide that tuition at Connecticut public colleges and universities may be waived for:
- eligible veterans;
- active members of the Connecticut Army and Air National Guard;
- any Connecticut resident who is a dependent child or a surviving spouse of a member of the Armed Forces killed in action on or after September 11, 2001 who was a Connecticut resident; and
- state residents who are dependent children of a person whom the Armed Forces has declared to be either missing in action or a prisoner of war while serving in the Armed Forces after January 1, 1960.
The state tuition waiver also covers the amount of tuition which exceeds the tuition benefit received under the federal 2008 Post-9/11 Veteran Educational Assistance Act.
College costs other than tuition - such as for books, student activity and course fees, parking and room and board - are not waived. When applying for admission or registering for courses, bring a copy of your separation paper (Form DD-214). Waivers may be reduced by the amount of education reimbursement you may receive from your employer.
- Connecticut State Universities
Veterans accepted for admission to Central, Eastern, Southern or Western Connecticut State University must be formally admitted for undergraduate or graduate study to receive the 100% tuition waiver for credit courses, although they do not have to declare a major initially. A 50% course fee waiver is offered for Extension Fund courses (summer and intersession credit courses).
- Community Colleges
The 12 Community Colleges waive tuition for full- or part-time credit study funded through the state's General Fund. The waiver, however, cannot be applied toward summer, intercession or Extension Fund courses.
- Charter Oak State College
Offers a 50% course fee waiver for eligible veterans who are matriculated.
How to Qualify
To be eligible at a public college or university, veterans must:
- be honorably discharged or released under honorable conditions
from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces (U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard). National Guard members, activated under Title 10 of the United States Code, also are included.
- have served at least 90 or more cumulative days active duty
in time of war (see Periods of Service) except if separated from service earlier because of a federal Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) rated service-connected disability; or the war, campaign or operation lasted less than 90 days and service was for the duration.
- be accepted for admission
at a Connecticut public college or university.
- be domiciled in Connecticut
at the time of acceptance, which includes domicile for less than one year.
The ACE Military Guide for College Credit
Connecticut State Colleges & Universities proudly welcome military students who have served and/or are currently serving our country. It is possible that military service - training, coursework or occupation - can earn the equivalent of college credit towards a degree program.
The American Council of Education (ACE) recommends college credit for military service by collaborating with the U.S. Department of Defense to review military training and experiences, and recommend appropriate college credit for Armed Forces members. The ACE Military Guide presents ACE credit recommendations for formal courses and occupations offered by all branches of the military. You can search the ACE Military Guide for courses and occupations using the ACE identification number, military course number or title, training location, dates completed, or subject and level.
Veteran services are available at each CSCU campus. Select a campus below to for more information.
- Asnuntuck Veteran Services Website
- Capital Veteran Services Website
- CCSU Veteran Services Website
- Charter Oak Veteran Services Website
- Department of Veterans' Affairs Website
- ECSU Veteran Services Website
- Gateway Veteran Services Website
- Housatonic Veteran Services Website
- Manchester Veteran Services Website
- Middlesex Veteran Services Website
- Naugatuck Valley Veteran Services Website
- Northwestern CT Veteran Services Website
- Norwalk Veteran Services Website
- Quinebaug Valley Veteran Services Website
- SCSU Veteran Services Website
- Three Rivers Veteran Services Website
- Tunxis Veteran Services Website
- WCSU Veteran Services Website