12 Students from the Connecticut State Universities Receive Henry Barnard Awards
Twelve outstanding students from the four Connecticut State Universities were awarded the prestigious Henry Barnard Distinguished Student Award by the CSCU Foundation
Twelve outstanding students from the four Connecticut State Universities were awarded the prestigious Henry Barnard Distinguished Student Award by the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) Foundation.
The 12 students — enrolled in Central, Eastern, Southern and Western Connecticut State Universities — received the award for their outstanding academic achievement, on-campus involvement, and dedication to community service. Each student was selected by his or her respective university and have maintained a 3.7 grade point average with a record of substantial voluntary service to their universities and communities.
“We are immensely proud of these 12 students who have excelled in the classroom and beyond, whether it’s through multiple degrees, research, or community service,” said CSCU President Mark Ojakian. “These students quite clearly demonstrate that our universities are doing an outstanding job of educating and preparing our students as the leaders of tomorrow. Their success is our success.”
Helen G. Sneed, president of the CSCU Foundation, said this year's 12 Barnard Award recipients uniquely represent overcoming the unexpected, persevering during a crisis and achieving their goals with both grit and grace. “Our 12 students shine a light for others to follow at any one of our state colleges and universities in Connecticut,” she said.
“The CSCU Foundation is honored to recognize the unique efforts of these 12 students as we help develop their dreams of leadership, guide their careers and witness their reach for the stars,” said Sneed. “They are leaders, our future and a true Barnard Scholar.”
This is the 32nd year the CSCU Foundation has annually awarded the Henry Barnard Distinguished Student Award to exemplary students. The award is named for Henry Barnard, the first U.S. Commissioner of Education, Connecticut’s first superintendent of schools and principal of what later became Central Connecticut State University. The CSCU Foundation is a nonprofit organization that supports education and research within the four state universities.
The 2020 Henry Barnard Distinguished Student Award recipients are:
Central Connecticut State University
- Jennifer DePalma, New Milford, Elementary Education English major, 4.0 GPA
- Lea Fontaine, Wolcott, Nursing major and Psychology minor, 3.72 GPA
- Brenden Griffith, Wethersfield, Biomolecular Science major, 3.98 GPA
- Hannah Rodrigues, Wallingford, Psychological Science major and Gerontology minor, 3.88 GPA
Eastern Connecticut State University
- Evelyn Lemus Silva, Burnsville, NC, Biology major, 3.88 GPA
- Stefanos Stravoravdis, Colchester, Biology and Mathematics major, 4.0 GPA
Southern Connecticut State University
- Amber Marie Archambault, Windsor Locks, Social Work major and Psychology minor, 3.96 GPA
- Melissa Palma Cuapio, East Haven, Chemistry major, 3.80 GPA
- Brooke Mercaldi, Monroe, Environmental Systems and Sustainability Studies major and Political Science and Honors Transdisciplinary minor, 3.93 GPA
- Alexis Zhitomi, Shelton, Communication Disorders major and Psychology minor, 3.97 GPA
Western Connecticut State University
- Shannon Lynch, Sandy Hook, Nursing major, 3.70 GPA
- Erika Wahlers, Holmes, NY, Music Education major, 3.90 GPA
For more information
For more information, please contact Leigh Appleby, Director of Communications at 860-723-0617, firstname.lastname@example.org